Restoring Natural Bowel Movements
Simple Natural Ways To Get Constipation Relief
Embarrassing as it may be, we have all suffered from constipation at one time in our life or another. According to the National Health Interview Survey as many as 3 million Americans suffer from frequent if not chronic constipation. While constipation is not recognized as a degenerative disease or serious disorder, people who are constipated often feel bloated, uncomfortable and even sluggish. Constipation by itself is miserable enough, but sufferers often experience painful bowel movements. This discomfort can become compounded if hemorrhoids (are swollen veins in the anal canal) form due to straining.
What Causes Chronic Constipation?
To understand chronic constipation, it is important to understand how our digestive system works. When we eat, food is ground up in our stomachs so it can be digested. This “liquid” food passes into the small intestine where nutrients are extracted. It then moves on to the colon, where water is removed, allowing a stool to form. If too much water is extracted from the stool as it passes through the colon, it can become hard and difficult to pass leaving you constipated.
There are a number of reasons why people get constipated. These include not eating enough dietary fiber, not drinking enough liquids (water), lack of exercise, ignoring the “urge” to have a bowel movement, candida and plain old stress. Other causes for chronic constipation can include having a lazy colon that does not contract properly, causing waste materials to pass through the colon slowly, food allergies that can cause the colon to contract, or mechanical obstructions that inhibit the movement of waste materials. Many prescription drugs and certain neurological disorders can also slow down the movement of waste materials through the colon.
Chronic constipation can also be brought on by an abuse of laxatives that over time can damage the nerve cells in the colon and interfere with its ability to contract properly. Fortunately, there are a number of natural home remedies you can use to get relief from chronic constipation.
Natural Home Remedies For Chronic Constipation Relief
- Consume a high fiber diet made up of lots of fruits, vegetables and whole grains. If that is not possible, incorporate a dietary fiber supplement such as psyllium hulls or flax seeds into your daily health routine. Dietary fiber holds water and help to keep the stool soft, while added bulk help to move the stool through the colon.
- If other fiber supplements fail in your attempt to become regular, try taking Chitosan (a form of dietary fiber) along with vitamin C. The chitosan binds to fats from the foods we eat making the stool soft and smooth. The vitamin C helps to activate the chitosan in the stomach.
- Drink plenty of water, especially if you are taking supplemental fiber.
- Try eating a few dried prunes or drinking some prune juice. In addition to adding fiber, prunes have a mild laxative effect.
- Avoid sugar and other processed foods.
- Begin a regular exercise program to help promote normal bowel movements.
- If you think allergies are the cause of your chronic constipation, try an elimination diet to help you to identify what may be triggering your body and causing your colon to contract.
- Meditate, do yoga, go for a walk. Do things that will allow you to reduce your stress levels and help your body to relax. This can help relax your colon.
- Get a colonic to flush out any old fecal matter that may be trapped within the colon or try a colon cleanse.
- Take a good probiotics such as acidophilus and bifidophilus to help promote a healthy environment within the colon.
- Peppermint has a long history of helping relax the smooth muscles of the gastrointestinal tract and the colon.
- Supplementation with magnesium and large doses of vitamin C, have a mild laxative effect on the body.
- If all else fails, herbs such as casgara segrada, turkey rhubarb or senna can be used to evacuate the colon. While these should be used with caution, they are less aggressive than many commercial laxatives available at the supermarket.
© Copyright Rita Louise, Inc. – medical-intuitives.com. All rights reserved.
About Dr. Rita Louise
Bestselling author, Dr. Rita Louise, is a Naturopathic Physician and the founder of the Institute Of Applied Energetics. She is the author of the books The Dysfunctional Dance Of The Empath And Narcissist, Stepping Out Of Eden, ET Chronicles: What Myth And Legend Have To Say About Human Origin, Avoiding The Cosmic 2X4, Dark Angels: An Insider’s Guide To Ghosts, Spirits & Attached Entities and The Power Within as well as hundreds of articles that have been published worldwide.
Dr. Rita has appeared on radio and television and has spoken at conferences covering topics such as health and healing, relationships, ghosts, intuition, ancient mysteries and the paranormal.
Let Dr. Rita assist you bringing health, healing and wholeness back into your life.
This information is provided for educational purposes only. The descriptions of nutritional supplements are based on the historical usage of the various ingredients. They are not intended to promote any direct or implied health claims, and actual results of usage can vary.
The statements on this Web site have not been evaluated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, and are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Rita Louise, PhD is not a medical doctor. Sessions are not intended for the diagnosis, treatment, alleviation, mitigation, prevention or care of any disease of any kind, in any way. Individuals, however, can choose to utilize the information and knowledge gained during a session for the care of their own body, including any suggested health or healing programs.
For any medical problems, see your primary care physician.